[Xen-ia64-devel] git hosting for upstream merge

To: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] git hosting for upstream merge
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:06:23 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:06:37 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

   I've been investigating where we can host code for the upstream merge
effort.  I'm hoping that for this effort we'll follow more of an
upstream Linux model of pulling each others tree than we have
traditionally done for xen-ia64-devel, so I think we'll each want our
own development tree.  Here's my summary of potential hosting sites:

      * xenbits - Currently no git support and no plan for git support.
        Might be able to add it if requested, but it would be a couple
        weeks.
      * git.kernel.org - Might be an issue with everyone that wants an
        account getting one (somewhat exclusive).  Shared commit access
        to a single tree is unlikely.
      * github.com - Promising, but currently in beta and no response to
        my request for accounts.
      * git.or.cz - Limited to 100MB repos by default, possibility of
        increasing.  Hosting resources seem questionable.
      * tuxfamily.org - Limited to 100MB repos by default, possibility
        of increasing.  Otherwise OK.
      * gitorious.org - No obvious limitations, allows shared commit
        access.

Given that, I setup and account on gitorious and created a project:

http://gitorious.org/projects/linux-2-6-xen-ia64-aw

This is just a test at the moment, but I was able to push the entire
linux-2.6 upstream tree into it (~500MB).  It appears that it's easy to
clone from this, setup multiple committers, etc.  I don't know if we
each want to work within our own project and push and pull among them,
or if we should setup multiple repositories under the same project with
a different or shared commit access between them.  Opinions welcome.

   It seems like we could start out on gitorious and if we feel the
need, maybe ask for git on xenbits.  It shouldn't be much effort to move
to a different hosting service if we need to, aside from getting all the
accounts setup.  Please let me know what you think or if you have any
opinions on how we should operate.  I have a lot of learning to do on
git.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.