Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen/IA64 Healthiness Report -- Cset #16540

To: "Mu, Qin" <qin.mu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen/IA64 Healthiness Report -- Cset #16540
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:42:38 -0700
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:43:09 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 23:04 -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 13:53 +0800, Mu, Qin wrote:
> > Xen/IA64 Healthiness Report --- Cset #16540

> > Test Result Summary:
> >
> >     In this lightly validation for Cset# 16540, neither linux nor
> > window guest HVM could be created by using latest open guest firmware.
> > Fortunately, switching to use Intel guest firmware with "-c" option of
> > xm create command can avoid this problem.
> >     To keep the auto lightly validation workable, the combination of
> > Intel guest firmware and "-c" option will be used as workaround for next
> > lightly validations of new Csets until the above problem is removed.
>
>    This was an issue with the new 16550A UART driver in QEMU.  Seems it
> wasn't dropping characters when there was no client to read them, so the
> GFW was probably stuck waiting for the clear to send signal.  In my
> testing, either GFW works correctly with the -c option.  You can also
> comment out the serial line in the domain config file to avoid the
> issue.  This should be fixed on the next pull from upstream.  Thanks,

   I've merged us up with upstream, which brings in a partial solution
for this.  Characters will timeout on the UART, but it takes a long
time.  An HVM domain configured with serial=pty and nothing connected to
the console will take 2 minutes to boot (~10x longer than previous).
I'm still pushing the developer for a better solution, in the meantime,
you'll still need to work around the problem or wait a long time for the
HVM domain to boot.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.