[Xen-ia64-devel] eepro100 HVM NIC

To: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] eepro100 HVM NIC
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:24:39 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:25:28 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   I spent some time porting the eepro100 device device model from qemu
into Xen.  It seems to work ok for Linux guests, but I can't get it
working for Windows.  The qemu driver supports three models of the card:
i82551, i82557b, and i82559er.  The i82557b is definitely recognized by
the i8255x driver that ships with Windows server 2003.  The other two
just show up as unknown devices in the device manager.  The most obvious
thing keeping it from working seems to be that Windows remaps the PCI
BARs to invalid addresses (the reason I was investigating the memmap,
but that didn't help).  I don't understand why it's doing this, but I'll
post the port of the eepro100 driver here to save anyone who wants to
play with it the trouble.  FWIW, I also tried the Windows IPF driver
available from Intel's website, but it didn't recognize any of the
models as a PRO series NIC and refused to install.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.