Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [RFC] Xen machine vector

To: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [RFC] Xen machine vector
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 07:27:28 -0600
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 May 2007 06:25:59 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 17:54 +0900, Isaku Yamahata wrote:
> Hi Alex.
>
> Machine vector means that dma api is accessed indirectory.
> Potentially it might be possible to replace dma api
> implementation dynamically with xen-paravirtualized one
> on unmodified (non-xen) Linux kernel of CONFIG_IA64_GENERIC=y.
> Then pci front could be used for VTi domain with paravirtualized
> device driver module.
>
> Does it sound useful?

Hi Isaku,

   So you're suggesting we have a Xen machine vector for a generic
kernel, not compiled with CONFIG_XEN?  As long as the Xen aware code is
confined within that specific machine vector, I think that sounds like a
good idea.  Interesting possibilities there.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.