RE: [Xen-ia64-devel][Patch]Add two PAL calls which fix SMPwindowsinstall

To: Kouya SHIMURA <kouya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel][Patch]Add two PAL calls which fix SMPwindowsinstallation crashing bug
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:22:44 -0600
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:21:34 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 21:25 +0900, Kouya SHIMURA wrote:
> Hi Alex, Wing,
>
> I revised my patch(return to SAL). What do you think?
> This is still dirty since it uses the rest area of HOB.
> Is there any other good place for SAL_RETURN_STUB_PADDR?

   This seems to work too, but wouldn't it make more sense if the GFW
did this on it's own?  Writing code into the HOB does still seem like a
bit of a kludge.  Anthony, Tristan, any comments?

> +    /*
> +     * inject a emulation code for SAL Return state from OS_BOOT_RENDEZ
> +     *
> +     * 1: mov r28=0x28   // PAL_HALT
> +     *    break 0x110000 // DOMN_PAL_REQUEST
> +     *    br.many.sptk.few 1
> +     */
> +    code = hob_buf + GFW_HOB_SIZE - 0x10;
> +    code[0] = 0x000024000070e011;
> +    code[1] = 0x4000000000040010;

   Why PAL_HALT rather than SAL_XEN_SAL_RETURN?  Tristan's GFW does
this:

        alloc r2=ar.pfs,0,0,8,0
        movl  r32=0x02000000
        mov   r33=r0
        mov   r34=r0
        mov   r35=r0
        mov   r36=r0
        mov   r37=r0
        mov   r38=r0
        mov   r39=r0
        break 0x110001

Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.