Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Patch] allocate all memory to dom0

To: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Patch] allocate all memory to dom0
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:01:50 -0700
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:20:49 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 13:06 +0900, Akio Takebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we don't specify dom0_mem, we can use all memory on dom0 with this patch.
> I change alloc_dom0() to alloc_dom0_size(), and alloc_dom0_size() is static
> function.

Hi Akio,

   I don't think we're able to do this yet.  One of my test systems is
an rx6600 w/ 96G of memory.  With this patch, I get a _very_ long pause
during Xen boot (>30 seconds), followed by an endless loop of page
allocation failures:

(XEN) Domain0 EFI passthrough: ACPI 2.0=0x3fdce000 SMBIOS=0x3e52a000
[long pause here]
(XEN) Cannot handle page request order 0!
(XEN) Cannot handle page request order 0!
(XEN) Cannot handle page request order 0!
(XEN) Cannot handle page request order 0!
(XEN) Cannot handle page request order 0!

The most memory I can specify for dom0_mem and still boot seems to be
around 87G.  Obviously failing to boot is bad, but the long pause while
we're individually mapping every page for dom0 is also a usability
issue.  We either need to see about optimizing this code segment to
reduce the delay to something acceptable, or add some kind of forward
progress indicator.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.