Re: [Xen-devel] Porting PV-on-HVM for ia64 platform

To: <Doi.Tsunehisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Porting PV-on-HVM for ia64 platform
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:51:29 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 07:51:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 26/8/06 10:52 pm, "Doi.Tsunehisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<Doi.Tsunehisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   In IPF, V2P address translation uses TR, TC and VHPT. VHPT is like page
> table in x86 platform, and TC is like TLB in it exept for direct handling
> posibility. But TR is specific for IPF. TR is controled directly with MM,
> its entry does not be deleted by hardware if MM does not control it.
>
>   In additionaly, TR, TC and VHPT can use flexible page size for each entry.
> Thus normal linux kernel uses a TR entry for kernel virtual space. So, in HVM
> domain on IPF, it is difficult to change a part of P2M map of kernel virtual
> space without MM modification.

What's a TR? Assuming some sort of virtual->physical translation record, you
couldn't have simple single mapping for the entire kernel va space because
it won't map onto a contiguous block of physical addresses? There must be
something doing translation from the guest's view of fake contiguous
physical memory to underlying real scattered pages -- whatever structure
that is is the one that gets modified by that memory_op.

 -- Keir