Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Page size issue

To: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Page size issue
From: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:56:42 +0900
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:56:51 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:14:14PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is just a thought about page size.
> Contrary to x86 there is no canonical ia64 page size (ps = page size)
>
> Currently we work with Xen ps == dom0 ps == domU ps.
> I suppose others scheme are not working yet.
>
> The Xen hypervisor should be ready to support any domain whose ps >= Xen ps.
>
> Dom0 tools are using PAGE_SIZE/PAGE_SHIFT instead of an hypothetical
> XEN_PAGE_SIZE/XEN_PAGE_SHIFT.
>
> DomU uses only one page size for console/xenbus.
>
> We might want to be more generic for shared page + privreg page.
>
> Other issues ?

Probably balloon driver, block front and netfront for domU.

Althogh I'm not sure that xen ps != dom0 ps is needed,
If xen ps != dom0 ps,
- dma paravirtualization
  (pfn_to_mfn_for_dma, __xen_create_contiguous_region(),
   __xen_destroy_contiguous_region())
- block back, netback
would be issues.

Exactly the p2m conversion, the XENMEM operation and
the grant table operation would be issue.

--
yamahata