Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] architecture-specific ELF header checking

To: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] architecture-specific ELF header checking
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:15:53 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:16:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12 Jun 2006, at 21:12, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

This patch has only been compile-tested on x86, but it should be pretty
straightforward. It could break IA64 since it adds checks they weren't
doing before, but I would expect their ELF binaries are labeled
properly.

I am not keen on adding loads of -D CFLAGS options for very localised/specific macros. They could go in a per-arch header file, but I think in this case just having ifdef's in xc_elf.h is clean enough. Nothing outside the ELF-parsing code should be looking at these values so keeping them private is sensible. Apart from that, the general idea is fine so I'll modify and apply.

 -- Keir