[Xen-ia64-devel] Add ptc.l emulation for 2.6.17 xenlinux to fix federon-

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <fedora-ia64-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Add ptc.l emulation for 2.6.17 xenlinux to fix federon-xen-ia64 boot
From: "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 19:25:31 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 04:25:50 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This patch adds support for ptc.l emulation. In 2.6.16 kernel
flush_tlb_range will call global_tlb_purge directly, so ptc.l shouldn't
be used when CONFIG_SMP enable.
But in order to enhance performance (maybe), 2.6.17 kernel in smp
environment
will do mm check first. If mm is current->active_mm and the mm
(corresponding process) just runs on the local processor, kernel only
needs to do ptc.l at local processor instead of global purge. So ptc.l
emulation is necessary for 2.6.17 kernel.

Hi Aron,
With this patch, federon-xen-ia64 with rhel4-u2 can boot to "switch to
new root". Seems this error is related to FC6 OS, due to lack of FC6 at
hand, we couldn't try to boot it on FC6. Anyway, this patch is a must
for boot 2.6.17 kernel.
In addition, I attached the boot log, anyone can help to try on FC6 with
this patch?

Thanks
-Xiantao