RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] shared_info and privregs

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] shared_info and privregs
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:59:02 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 May 2006 02:08:48 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Tristan,
        Following link talks some background about why shared_info is
allocated from xenheap:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-01/msg00258.html
        For xen/ia64, to allocate shared_info from domheap faces less
boring issues as x86, but you have to consider several common issues
like refcnt or domain statistic accounting mentioned from the thread. I
believe those can be worked around, but you may check whether worthy
of doing that. :-)

        BTW, it may be a good idea to add shared_info page (even from
xeneheap) into the domain's pseudo memory space, especially when
current ia64 dom0 is based on p!=m model. In that way, dom0 can simply
map all domain's memory including shared_info by uniform interface.

        Hope helps a bit.

Thanks,
Kevin