RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Q]About Domain time update in IA64

To: "Atsushi SAKAI" <sakaia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Q]About Domain time update in IA64
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:03:02 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 May 2006 20:03:37 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now xen/ia64 has a different time virtualization policy as xen/x86.
For xen/x86, the whole virtual timer source is based on above system
time updated by a regular soft timer. For xen/ia64, xen is only
responsible for emulating virtual itc/itm. When virtual timer can be
triggered depends on the virtual itm value set by guest. Xen injects
virtual timer interrupt into guest and it's guest itself to maintain the
system time. This policy works for platform with ITC as timer source,
which however can't support platform with ITC driven by different
frequency. For those systems, normally a global platform timer
resource will be provided. Then who owns platform timer resource
and how domain and xen cooperate to achieve virtual value will be
topic to be investigated later.

Thanks,
Kevin