[Xen-ia64-devel] Linux bug with Xen

To: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Linux bug with Xen
From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:31:00 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:28:12 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I think I hit a linux kernel bug.
The situation is:

* an interrupt happen
* interrupt IVT entry is executed with ic=0
* within the entry, SAVE_MIN_WITH_COVER try to access to the current area,
  pointed by kr6
* Unfortunatly, the 'current' area is not mapped, thus xen has to handle the
page fault.
* the translation fails inside Xen and Xen injects a nested dtlb miss fault.
* The linux nested dtlb miss don't know how to handle this fault (only vmemmap
are handled).

As far as I know/read the sources, the linux current area is not TR-mapped.
So Xen appears to be correct and the linux kernel may be buggy here.

I will try to understand why Xen cannot resolve the page fault.

Comments ?

Tristan.