RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] config files and dom0/domU

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, "Williamson, Alex (Linux Kernel Dev)" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] config files and dom0/domU
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:23:34 -0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:23:34 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When I compiled a domU with CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=n,
I got an error message and domU did not get to a shell prompt.
(I don't recall the error message other than it had something
to do with xenstore and console.)  When I recompiled domU
with CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y, the problem went away.

I looked at the code where there is ifdef CONFIG_XEN_PRIV...
and I didn't see anything that should cause this problem,
but that is the result I saw.

I am OK with any default values, as long as it is possible
to build dom0 and domU without user intervention.  I would
also like to preserve the capability that a single binary
can be used for both dom0 and domU (which is true for
Xen/x86); the only thing that makes this impossible right
now is CONFIG_VT.

Dan