RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RHEL4 without initrd - too hard!

To: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RHEL4 without initrd - too hard!
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:15:38 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:13:06 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
There are probably multiple ways to solve this problem.
Since Anthony made the changes to elilo (and I do think
these are in both xen-ia64-unstable.hg and xen-unstable.hg)
we should be able to boot RHEL4 with an initrd.
Building one that is compatible with both a default
installation of RHEL4 (which uses LVM?) and a stock kernel.org
kernel (and thus also with xenlinux) is the hard problem
that I don't think anybody yet has solved (or at least
not described for me or for this list).

It would be a fine contribution to xen-ia64 if someone
who has the know-how to build/boot RHEL4 with a 2.6.12+
kernel.org kernel could apply that know-how to build/boot
Xen/ia64 and Xenlinux/ia64 with RHEL4 and DOCUMENT the steps
so that we could all move forward
from the RHEL3.x systems we are using for test/development.

Dan