Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] SMP Status (domain0 is working)

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] SMP Status (domain0 is working)
From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:47:37 +0200
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 07:43:22 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Le Jeudi 29 Septembre 2005 19:24, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) a
écrit :
> Excellent work!
>
> Since you are redo-ing the patch for a more recent version
> of Xen, here's some feedback from eyeballing the patch.
>
> - It looks like there are two places where the kernel registers
>   are re-assigned to the cpu_vars?  Perhaps you could add a
>   routine in xensetup.c for this code and call it rather than
>   have the code inline in both places?
No, it has just been moved.

> - For files in arch/ia64/linux-xen, please ensure that every
>   change from the equivalent linux file is marked with
>   an ifdef XEN, even temporary debug lines.  (You can mark
>   those for example with "#if defined(XEN) && defined(MY_DEBUG)").
>   It looks like you have done this, but its often hard to
>   tell just from looking at the patch.  This makes it MUCH
>   easier to maintain (for example when we move forward from
>   basing on 2.6.13 to 2.6.14).
Ok, I will do this.

> - I see some new code handling the idle domain.  Were you able
>   to get the sedf scheduler working with this code or are you
>   still using the bvt scheduler?  If you got sedf working, could
>   you submit that first as a separate patch?
No, I have not yet tried with sedf.  This is the next item on my TODO list!

> - Since Xen is no longer using kr's except at startup, the
>   DBG_FAULT code you re-enabled in ivt.S could be dangerous.
>   It's probably OK now because Linux/ia64 isn't using kr2
>   (unless someone builds a xenlinux with DBG_FAULT on!) but
>   it would probably be good to add a comment, or just
>   change DBG_FAULT to use the cpu__var instead.
Yes, this should be disabled.

I am currently trying to make a more recent Xen working with my patch.  It
seems OK in UP (with CONFIG_SMP), but not with 2 processors.  An itm
interrupt is lost and this locks the cpu.

Tristan.