[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: Multiple domains up on a bit old Rev

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: Multiple domains up on a bit old Rev
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:25:10 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:22:42 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Dan,
        Attached is the short receipt, and Anthony succeeded to
reproduce the multiple domain environment on RHEL3 distro. Though not a
fresh install from scratch for EL3, he never tried multiple domains on
that box before. BTW, our build machine is separate as the test machine,
so there's no need to add mercurial on the test machine for us.

        Before trying the receipt, I'd like you to confirm following
issues first which may be the suspect from my guess:

- Currently xenlinux-ia64 doesn't remove include/asm-xen/linux-public,
instead it should be a symbolic link created by Makefile now. So the
privcmd.h under that directory may be stale. In Anthony's first try,
xen0 failed to create /proc/xen/privcmd, and so xend start failed. After
remove that directory, xend can work.

- Please confirm bad lines in xen-backend.agent removed, since I didn't
see it on latest xen-ia64-unstable.hg.

- I'm always do "rm -rf /var/lib/xenstored/*" to ensure no stale domain
info from last run affecting next. Maybe conservative, but I just want a
clean environment.

        OK, now let's go to the receipt section. Just a warn that some
steps may be temporary upon current repo, and unnecessary soon.
[On Build Machine]
Download Xen-ia64-dev.hg and xenlinux-ia64.
#Cd xen-ia64-dev.hg
#make dist XEN_NO_IOEMU=y
#tar -czf dist.tar.gz dist/

#cd Xenlinux-ia64:
#make clean (For current hg, you need to remove
include/asm-xen/linux-public directory manually)
#cp arch/ia64/configs/xen_tiger_defconfig .config
#make oldconfig
#make menuconfig)
========NOTE============
Currently the default Kconfig disables the CONFIG_VT, which is wanted
for xenU. However for xen0, this option off requires user logon to xen0
by network. In my case, I chose to compile xen0 and xenU separately with
only difference on CONFIG_VT (you can edit driver/char/Kconfig)
=========================
(Enable CONFIG_VT for xen0)
#make -j4 XEN_PATH={full path of xen repo}
#cp vmlinux xeno-vmlinux
(Disable CONFIG_VT for xenU)
#make -j4
#cp vmlinux xenU-vmlinux

[On Test Machine]
#copy xen.gz/xeno-vmlinux to /boot/efi/efi/redhat (Set elilo.conf as
previous Dan's receipt)
#copy xenU-vmlinux to /boot/
#copy dist.tar.gz to /tmp/
#cd /tmp/
#tar -xzf dist.tar.gz
#rm -rf /usr/lib/python/xen
#cd dist
#./install.sh

#cp /etc/xen/example1 /etc/xen/xmdefconfig
#Change following items per your setting:
kernel = "/boot/xenU-vmlinux"
memory = 256
disk = [ 'phy:loop0,hda1,w' ] // We use a image file for domU

#rm -rf /var/lib/xenstored/*    //Promise a clean environment
#lomount -t ext2 -diskimage /root/xenia64.img -partition 2 /mnt
xend start      // bind and mount the image file

#xend start
#xm create -c

Then you can wait to see xenU up to shell. Actually multiple domains
actually work stable on my box for almost one day, until I actively stop
it for other test. Also due to some environment difference, some steps
above may not adapt to your case. Just a reference here. ;-)

Thanks,
Kevin