[Xen-ia64-devel] Dependency mess between xen/ia64 and xenlinux-ia64

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Dependency mess between xen/ia64 and xenlinux-ia64
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:12:19 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:10:51 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I think someone pointed this out to me, possibly
in a one-to-one email last week while I was out but
I can't find it...

We seem to have created a bit of a dependency mess
now that xenlinux links in certain public header files directly
from the xen tree.  There's a large number of driver files
in the xen/x86 linux-sparse tree that are also dependent
on the same public header files.  We have a snapshot of
those driver files in xenlinux which is now grossly
out-of-date (won't compile with the newer header files),
so needs to be updated out-of-tree and synchronized with
xen itself.  This means I can't synchronize the xen-ia64-unstable
tree with xen-unstable without also synchronizing
xenlinux-ia64 with xen/x86 linux-sparse.

Hopefully this is messy right now just because Xen core
moved to the new xenbus/xenstore, but a quick scan found a lot
of other changes.  It's unlikely (but possible) that a
syntax-only merge will work.  I will start doing this
merge and cross my fingers.  If it doesn't work, it may
be quite a while before we can get all the latest xen-ia64
work into the core xen-unstable tree.

The right answer is to get xenlinux-ia64 built directly
out of the xen/x86 linux-sparse tree.  I was hoping to
delay that until the xen-merge activities were more
stable, but we may need to do it sooner rather than
later.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Dan