[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: [elilo-discuss] a patch to make elilo load another

To: "Brett Johnson" <brettj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: [elilo-discuss] a patch to make elilo load another module
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:31:17 -0700
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Wang, Stanley" <stanley.wang@xxxxxxxxx>, elilo-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:30:00 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Brett --

I haven't studied the details, but implemented a similar
patch on top of elilo for a previous HP research project
a couple years ago...  mine was really a hack though and
I'm sure you want this one to be more generally useful.

If the patch:
1) allows at least one additional "initrd-like" file to be
   specified, and
2) elilo loads the additional file(s) into physical
   memory, and
3) elilo somehow communicates the location of the additional
   file via some kind of backwards-compatible extension to
   ia64_boot_param, and
4) the patch gets into the mainline elilo source asap

then the patch meets my needs (which I believe are the same
as Anthony's).

I've also cc'ed the xen-ia64-devel list so other Xen/ia64
folks can chime in.

Dan