RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: Code merge between VTI code and non VTI code

To: "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: Code merge between VTI code and non VTI code
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:32:56 -0700
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:32:28 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> We strongly believe with good structure  support, both models can work
> and shine together like ia32/Xen.  We shouldn't limit ia64/Xen to only
> run on a specific platform, rather, you want ia64/Xen to run
> on as many
> different platforms as possible to extend its capability.  This is the
> beauty of public community - everyone contributes on what he/she can
> contribute.

I agree.  However the community cannot currently contribute to
Xen/ia64/VTI development.

> Without major data structure or interfaces merged ASAP, the detail
> implementation will be diverged further away and make it
> harder & harder
> to get to the goal.  Are you proposing put 2-headed source into
> Xen-ia64-unstable BK?  That definitely helps us on rebase effort and
> ease the effort in further structural merging.

What I am saying is there may be (in fact very likely *will* be)
some parts of the code where architecture and design objectives
should result in divergence.  I don't think we have explored
these areas well enough yet and merging too quickly limits our
options and flexibility.

Dan