RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] console registration

To: "Greg Edwards" <edwardsg@xxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] console registration
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:16:01 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 May 2005 22:15:33 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jean-Paul's team at Bull was interested in working on this
some months ago, but when I talked to him at the Xummit, his
team had been temporarily diverted to other responsibilities.

It would be great to see this work done as it is probably
the largest impediment to getting Xen/ia64 running on a
wider array of Itanium hardware from different vendors.
And it would be great to hook in console input to the Xen
keyboard handling code so we can ask for status dumps
(e.g. a console keystroke on x86 can dump out the status
of all launched domains).

Leveraging the early console stuff from Linux is likely
to be the best way to get it working quickly and portably.
Bjorn Helgaas (here in HP Fort Collins) just spent a lot
of time working on that and might be able to answer
questions; let me know if it would be helpful to connect
you up.

Thanks very much for volunteering!
Dan