[Xen-ia64-devel] Implementing both (was: Xen/ia64 - global or per VP VHP

To: "ipf-xen" <ipf-xen@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Implementing both (was: Xen/ia64 - global or per VP VHPT)
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:34:12 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 May 2005 23:34:47 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks, Bert, for the good summary of issues.

> If everyone agrees that doing both
> implementations in the same source base is feasible and does
> not adversely
> affect other stuff, then I have no objection to what you propose.

Let's start the feasibility discussion on a new base thread...

I am probably oversimplifying it, but I'm not sure it will be
that hard to support both approaches.  Domain0's VHPT is set
up at boot time.  When new domains are launched they should
specify whether they want to "share" Domain0's VHPT (global
VHPT) or have their own VHPT allocated (per-domain VHPT).
For now, the default for paravirt domains can be shared and
the default (or, if necessary, the ONLY choice) for VT domains
can be per-domain.

The choice (and the location of the physical IVA) becomes
part of the per-domain state.  At domain switch time, cr.iva
is changed as necessary.

Now everybody can commence shooting holes in my oversimplification :-)

Dan