[Xen-devel] Re: Benchmarks of Linux based stubdom

To: Jiageng Yu <yujiageng734@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Benchmarks of Linux based stubdom
From: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:39:20 +0100
Cc: "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:42:26 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> am very interesting in the benchmarks of Linux stubdom. To have a good
> comparison with mini-os based stubdom, I want to do the same benchmarks as you
> did in http://www.xen.org/files/xensummitboston08/SamThibault_XenSummit.pdf.
> Please offer me the tools and methods you had used to measure the mini-os
> based
> stubdom. Any details would be thankful.

There is not too much fancy in there :)

- Inb (Kcy) is maybe the fancy part: the measurement was made with
  assembly bits, basically: rdtsc; inb; rdtsc, i.e. something like:

  unsigned long t1, t2;
  __asm__ volatile("rdtsc" : "=A" (t1))
  inb(0x80);
  __asm__ volatile("rdtsc" : "=A" (t2))

- Boot time is from xm create up to "foo login:" prompt.
- Disk performance was measured as seen from the guest, I don't remember
  exactly how, probably with a simple program working on /dev/xvdb
  with O_DIRECT. The CPU% was read from xm top.
- Net performance was measure as seen from the guest, probably with
  netperf. The CPU% was also read from xm top. Note the use of the e1000
  virtual device, which iirc performed best at the time.

Samuel