[Xen-devel] extending qemu-dm

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] extending qemu-dm
From: John Sherwood <theubaz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:26:06 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 03:18:20 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm working on a project and trying to pass through a PS/2 mouse + keyboard to a hardware VM.  I've played with numerous things (including the obvious, using USB), but after finding no alternative, it seems like the best way to approach this would be to modify qemu-dm to pipe through data from /dev/input/eventwhatever to the keyboard/mouse that qemu provides (and then using this version of qemu-dm only for this special case).

I've been looking through the 4.1.0 source, specifically in tools/ioemu-qemu-xen, and it appears that I'd want to (for the keyboard) pass key codes from /dev/input through the kbd_put_keycode function.  From what I can tell, I'd probably want to split off a thread to do this somewhere in main() in vl.c.  I was hoping that I could get some confirmation about whether I'm looking in the right places and/or suggestions about how to cleanly implement this.  Odds are I won't be able to go the whole 9 yards and implement configuration options for xm or command line switches for qemu-dm, but I would suspect that someone, somewhere, someday will also want this kind of ability.  If it's already possible to pass through PS/2 devices without getting nuts in QEMU, that's cool too :)