Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Is xen planning to support hvm guests bo

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 20:18 +0100, Andrei E. Warkentin wrote:
> Hi Ian, Keir, others -
>
> I was the mentor for the project. We got to the point where OVMF on
> Xen was indistinguishable from OVMF on QEMU as far
> as emulated device support (Bei can confirm - is this true for
> network/PXE boot as well?). ACPI and DMI info published from
> the hvmloader is consumed by the firmware and published. I believe we
> could boot RedHat. Last I checked Win7 was unbootable under QEMU with
> OVMF (so we didn't check) and I don't know the status of that (if I
> remember correctly, it BSODs in bootvid.sys (under QEMU) due to low
> memory area not being reserved away, or because there is no fake IDT
> set up - that seems to match up with the hoops I needed to do doing
> similar work on Hyper-V).
>
> OVMF is aware of Xen, and work was being done on a PV block device
> (Bei got as far as hypercall support and xenstore). Bei, are you
> working on the PV block driver? I want to say we're pretty close on
> that one (PV block not very hard, and neither is the block device
> abstraction for EFI).

Thanks for the update, it sounds like it's pretty far along.

The PV enhancements etc sound great but it would be nice if we could tie
up the baseline stuff so that folks can start using it.

Is Bei still working on the project since the end of GSoC? If not is
there an archive of what he accomplished so that we can find someone to
pick up on it if necessary?

> I/Bei had patches against hvmloader (to support booting OVMF) and Bei
> had patches against the management stack as well to expose the
> functionality of picking OVMF as the firmware. I believe all of these
> were sent to xen development list.

I remember these. A bunch got applied after some discussion but IIRC not
all of them were? Bei, are you able to resend the ones which did not?

Is there a wiki page or something somewhere detailing what a user needs
to do (i.e. build steps, guest cfg etc) in order to use the UEFI
support?

Cheers,
Ian.