[Xen-devel] Still struggling with HVM: tx timeouts on emulated nics

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Still struggling with HVM: tx timeouts on emulated nics
From: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:03:09 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 06:11:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is on 3.0.4 based dom0 and domU with 4.1.1 hypervisor. I tried using the
default 8139cp and ne2k_pci emulated nic. The 8139cp one at least comes up and
gets configured via dhcp. And initial pings also get routed and done correctly.
But slightly higher traffic (like checking for updates) hangs. And after a while
there are messages about tx timeouts.
The ne2k_pci type nic almost immediately has those issues and never comes up
correctly.

I am attaching the dmesg of the guest with apic=debug enabled. I am not sure how
this should be but both nics get configured with level,low IRQs. Disk emulation
seems to be ok but that seem to use IO-APIC-edge. And any other IRQs seem to be
at least not level.

Btw, what exactly is the difference between xen-pirq-ioapic and IO-APIC?

Another problem came up recently though that may just be me doing the wrong
thing. Normally I boot with xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary as I want the emulated
devices. xen-blkfront is a module in my case and I thought I once had been able
to use that by removing the unplug arg and making the blkfront driver load. But
when I recently tried the module loaded but no disks appeared... Again, not sure
I just forgot how to do that right or that was different when using a 4.1.0
hypervisor still...

-Stefan