Re: [Xen-devel] Sched_op hypercall small questions

To: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Sched_op hypercall small questions
From: Daniel Castro <evil.dani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:17:11 +0900
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:18:22 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=VHmrbQzgOWe6DLH+QUFarNe/ZMLf1mkGONy5ex4RG6c=; b=TTCOPRBgM56trRTmS+GqKusEiFSJslLUz5ipv2mUrPHDazwM98FXnpl4EivSqHpced S3xdommD4LG5PFP4P3CXgd17dIoaXVbECrFScdkZI6RwtcsBnyOas8CGSyBaw55ojivE oRxcggg5Z0GShYAh8cFf718FeNjLnvmC/885I=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/09/2011 22:21, "Daniel Castro" <evil.dani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> Some small question regarding schedule poll operation hypercall.
>>
>> 1. struct sched_poll poll.timeout is measured in what unit of time?
>> Secs, ms? ns?
>
> It is an absolute system time (rather than a duration), in nanoseconds.

really an absolute system time?

When the timeout is set and the timeout is reached, the system behaves
like if the event had been received? i.e the bit is changed?

>> 2. After issuing the hypercall_sched_op(SCHEDOP_poll, &poll); if no
>> timeout is used in poll struct how long will I yield the CPU?
>
> Until one of the specified event channel ports is pending.
If the channel port never changes (the event never arrives) then I
would yield for ever?

>> 3. If I issue the hypercall and the event never comes is it possible
>> to to yield the CPU for ever?
>
> Yes, if you do not specify a timeout.

Keir thanks for the answer.

I am trying to read from xenstore, so I have the following:
I write on my xenstore ring the query I want, then,
hypercall_event_channel_op(EVTCHNOP_send ...
If I read the ring inmediatly the answer is not ready so I issue a
hypercall_sched_op(SCHEDOP_poll, &poll);
But while I am entering the yield state the answer comes, so the event
is never seen because it has already been delivered.

If I use some way to wait (just for very brief instant) after the
event_channel_op send then, when I check the ring the answer is there;
And I do not need to yield the CPU.

Should I issue the wait after the send, rather than when I am about to
read the answer?

Thanks,

Daniel

--