Re: [Xen-devel] Help with the migration to XEN-4.1 please

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 06:07 -0400, Flavio wrote:

> > Did you start xenstored and xenconsoled?
> Of course yes. I added xendomains in the default runlevel, which
> strictly depends on xenstored and xenconsoled as you know.
> And it has been the first check I've done once I encountered that problem.

xenstored and xenconsoled are provided by the xencommons script, which
you state below you don't have.

> > i.e. did you add the
> > "xencommons" initscript to your startup?
> I don't know if it is a bug or something missing in the gentoo package
> of xen-tools
> but I don't have any inistscript called xencommons in my /etc/init.d
> directory.
> I only have the file /etc/xen/xencommons configuration file on my system.

You should have /etc/init.d/xencommons or Gentoo must provide you with
some equivalent (I don't know enough about Gentoo to know)

> > Do you have
> > the /dev/xen nodes, especially evtchn loaded and available?
> I only have evtchn under /dev/xen.

I think that is sufficient.

> > With pvops
> > many kernels are more standard distro kernels rather than xen-specific
> > and therefore stuff which was historically statically built in to the
> > kernel are now modular.
> So do you mean I have to check my kernel configuration or add/remove
> something,
> or make it as module?

You need to make sure you have the relevant backend drivers available
(especially netback and blkback). It's up to you if you want to make
them =y or if you want to use =m and arrange for them to be loaded on
boot using whatever mechanism Gentoo provides for this.

I think it would be useful if you posted your actual kernel
configuration.

Ian.