Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Warn/panics booting Konrad's master tree under xen 4

To: Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Warn/panics booting Konrad's master tree under xen 4.1.1
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:03:35 -0400
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:05:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 05:04:49PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Monday, July 25, 2011, 4:44:38 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:40:10PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> >> Hi Konrad,
>
> > Hey Sander,
> >>
> >> I have tried your current master tree (commit
> >> 602d7a606974c54dc8bd61527c051d7d697a5f86) as domU (under xen 4.1.1 and a
> >> 2.6.32.35 dom0), that seems to work fine.
> >>

> > Great..
>
> Yes, and i hope your 3 times retry with swiotbl will also help for the
> observed problems with allocating dma mem after some time.
>
> >> I have tried to use the same kernel as dom0 as well, but i get the
> >> warns/panic below, when i boot the kernel bare metal it works ok.
>
> > OK, so only as Dom0 you get this.
>
> Yes.
>
> >> Complete serial log is attached, i have re-compiled with and without
> >> pv-spinlocks but there is no difference.
> >>
> >> Also xen-pciback compiled in, with xen-pciback.hide as kernel boot
> >> parameter doesn't seem to seize the devices.
>
> > Can you attach the .config file please? And the lspci/lsusb for your
> > Pinnacle capture thingy.
> > You have been doing the USB passthrough for some time right - is this a new
> > piece of hardware
> > or was it the one you used for some time?
>
> .config of the 3.0+ kernel attached
> lspci and lsusb attached (from booting with 2.6.32.35 kernel, (since the 3.0+
> kernel panics on boot), so you don't see the usb devices in the lsusb, since
> pass through of the usb cards works in this case)

Ok.

> The pinnacle and kworld usb video capture devices (both em28xx based) should
> have been passedthrough, and i'm using them for quite some time, so no they
> are not new.
> I do have the xen-pciback lines in grub (exactly the same as for the
> 2.6.32.35 kernel, except for the xen-pciback.passthrough=passthrough
> parameter because with 2.6.32.35 you specify it at compile time ), but it
> seems no device gets seized by pciback some how.

You just need to say xen-pciback.passthrough=true
or xen-pciback.passthrough=1

The not seizing devices is not good.. Weird it works for me. Let me double
check just to make sure.

And I believe I've the kworld usb video capture device so  I should be able to
reproduce this.