Re: [Xen-devel] Question on struct grant table hypercall

To: Daniel Castro <evil.dani@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Question on struct grant table hypercall
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:51:52 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 01:52:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 01:38 +0100, Daniel Castro wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I am calling the hypercall to map the grant table on a HVM domain, on
> the code I have the cmd and struct gnttab_setup_table required to call
> the hypercall, yet on the struct you have XEN_GUEST_HANDLE as a type
> to a list of frames, my environment does not include the whole of xen,
> I have to include manually all the necessary structs and global
> variables needed. But the XEN_GUEST_HANDLE gives me an error, can I
> substitute the type with a simple array?

XEN_GUEST_HANDLE is a wrapper for a pointer rather than an array. IIRC
it was originally introduced to encapsulate some oddities of the
guest-pointer on the PPC architecture. These days I think the hypervisor
only uses to enforce alignment constraints on pointers. The tools also
use it to try and enforce type-safety for these pointers when hypercalls
are made from userspace (since the pointers need to be to memory which
is safe to use as a hypercall argument).

Although in principal you could replace the guest handle with a suitably
aligned pointer definition I think it would be wise to pull in the
necessary macros. They are defined in xen/include/public/arch-x86/xen.h.

You want the version corresponding to "__XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION__ >=
0x00030201". think you can also ignore the bits related to
XEN_GUEST_HANDLE_64 since they are for control domain use only. (IOW you
can ignore the override in xen/include/public/arch-x86/xen-x86_32.h).

You will also want some of the (__)DEFINE_XEN_GUEST_HANDLE calls from
xen/include/public/xen.h to define the baseline types you need. e.g.
your gnttab example below will require the
"__DEFINE_XEN_GUEST_HANDLE(ulong, unsigned long);" so that
XEN_GUEST_HANDLE(ulong) means something.

Ian.