Re: [Xen-devel] Implementation choices, XEN or KVM?

At 20:25 +1000 on 27 Jun (1309206300), James Harper wrote:

> > At 16:56 -0400 on 24 Jun (1308934602), Liu John wrote:
> > > I will do research experiment using hypervisor. But I have not
> decided the
> > > platform; both XEN and KVM work for me(my work is about MMU,
> specifically
> > > shadow page tables). Though I prefer XEN, it seems XEN development
> and
> > > debugging are not easy. For example, every time you add some code in
> > > hypervisor, you have to restart computer.
> >
> > That's true.   However I usually find that when I make a mistake in
> > hypervisor code the computer needs to be rebooted anyway. :)
> > AIUI Xen can run under Qemu so the reboot time is not that long.
> >

> Just out of curiosity, can xen be run inside xen yet? And does it make
> debugging any easier?

It can, as a HVM guest, (although I've been having trouble booting
latest xen-unstable under itself; running Xen 4.0 under latest unstable
seems to work).  We've just had support added for running HVM guests
inside nested Xen too.

I don't use it since I'm often working on hardware-specific or
performance-related issues, neither of which debugs very well in a VM.
For general development I keep a tight hold of one or two test-boxes
with fast BIOS POST times. :)

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team