Re: [Xen-devel] Domains not being destroyed properly

Hi,

At 13:54 +0100 on 24 Jun (1308923697), Anthony Wright wrote:
> The problem is that I don't think there's enough information available
> from watching @releaseDomain to implement a reaper well. The
> xenstore-watch on @releaseDomain only tells you that a domain has died
> (to make things more complicated I actually get two notifications when a
> domain get's shutdown), it doesn't tell you which domain has died. A
> reaper would have to maintain a list of domains as they were before the
> notification to compare against the list after the notification to be
> able to issue a notification for the domain that has died.

That sounds awfully fragile.  It could get a list of all living domains
and reap qemus/xenstore data for any domain not in the list.  (Or, more
safely, enumerate all qemus and xenstore entries and check for each
whether the domain is alive).

> Therefore the simplest change would seem to be to modify
> xenstored_domain.c so that if a script existed (e.g.
> /etc/xen/scripts/domain-destroyed) at domain destruction this script was
> called with the domain id & name as arguments. Would it be acceptable?

I don't think so.  At the moment it's possible (with a bit of effort) to
run xenstored in a chroot jail or in its own VM; plumbing it into the
rest of the tollstack that way would break that.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team