[Xen-devel] Question on p2m table

To: xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question on p2m table
From: MaoXiaoyun <tinnycloud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 00:15:54 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 May 2011 11:03:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi:

  Question might be simple but really confused me a long time.

  In my assumption, during VM running, the CPU sees the guest code instruction,
so when it want to asscess memory, it sees the guest virtual adress(GVA), so it need to
first translate to guest physical adress(GPA), and then host physical adress(HPA), and finally
access the real memory address.

Since GPA are always needs to translated to HPA, and p2m table only accessable in Xen for
HVM guest, does this mean every memory access will need VMExit to Xen?

many thanks.