Re: [Xen-devel] MULTI_mmu_update, HYPERVISOR_mmu_update and pte entry

To: Christopher Benninger <chrisbenninger@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] MULTI_mmu_update, HYPERVISOR_mmu_update and pte entry
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:49:51 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Wei Liu <liuw@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:01:11 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/19/2011 10:37 AM, Christopher Benninger wrote:
> Interesting,
>
> Are you talking about when DomU calls setpte?

Within Linux, "current" always evaluates to the current task.  It would
be a bit dubious to use it from within an async interrupt context, but I
don't think usermode ptes can ever be meaningfully updated in that context.

Pagetable updates to the kernel part of the address space have a
different set of rules, so you'll need to either ignore them or cope
with them in some way.  And I'm sure there are some cases where there
could be cross-address space updates, though I can't think of them off
hand (ptrace, perhaps?).

BTW, most usermode updates are done with set_pte_at rather than bare
set_pte, so you get the vaddr along with it.