[Xen-devel] Console is not working with 2.6.38.4 Dom0 and Xen unstable

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Console is not working with 2.6.38.4 Dom0 and Xen unstable
From: Wei Liu <liuw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:13:19 +0800
Cc: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 02:14:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm building my development with Debian Squeeze, Xen unstable and the
latest 2.6.38.4 kernel.

According to Xen wiki page, graphic subsystem is not working with
2.6.38 [1], so I disable GDM. I also set up various Xen and Linux
debug options, now that my grub entry looks like:

--- start of grub config ---
multiboot  /boot/xen-4.gz com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga
sync_console console_to_ring loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all noreboot
lapic=debug apic_verbosity=debug apic=debug iommu=off

module  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.4-liuw+ console=hvc0,vga earlyprintk=xen
nomodeset initcall_debug debug loglevel=10
root=UUID=fd49322b-830f-44d2-8bdf-de5c355bb159 ro  quiet
--- end of grub config ---

Another thing I do is setup a serial tty in /etc/inittab, which looks like:

--- start of inittab ---
s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS0
--- end of inittab ---

After Xen relinquishes the VGA console, the screen goes black. Serial
line has some output, but no login prompt is showed.

However, I can login with SSH. Everything works fine.

So it seems that the VGA console and serial console are not working
properly. Any suggestions?

[1] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPVOPSDRM

--
Best regards