[Xen-devel] Xen dom0 network I/O scalability

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen dom0 network I/O scalability
From: Kaushik Kumar Ram <kaushik@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:30:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:32:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi folks,

I have a few questions/clarifications about dom0 network I/O scalability. I would appreciate any feedback/pointers.

So the current implementation of netback does not scale beyond a single CPU core, thanks to the use of tasklets, making it a bottleneck (please correct me if I am wrong). I remember coming across some patches which attempts to use softirqs instead of tasklets to solve this issue. But the latest version of linux-2.6-xen.hg repo does not include them. Are they included in some other version of dom0 Linux? Or will they be included in future? This seems like a very important problem to solve especially as the number of VMs and number of CPU cores go up. Is there any fundamental limitation in solving this problem?

Thanks.
--Kaushik