[Xen-devel] ip/udp checksum offload from minios guest

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] ip/udp checksum offload from minios guest
From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:17:48 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:18:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm just adding checksum offload support into a custom guest, and wanted to
clarify a few things.

In netfront, I can mark outgoing frames with:
- NETTXF_csum_blank
- NETTXF_data_validated

These refer to UDP or TCP checksums, and not the IP checksum, right? Linux
seems to never offload IP header checksumming, so it must be offloading the
UDP/TCP calculation and then adjusting the IPv4 checksum based on that
calculation.

For outgoing UDP, my guest is setting the checksum to 0 (as it's optional in
the protocol), and calculating the full IPv4 checksum in software, and all
works (slowly).  However, setting NETTXF_csum_blank in the outgoing frame and
leaving the IPv4 checksum at 0 doesn't seem to result in any adjustment by
netback, and the packet gets dropped.

How am I supposed to entirely offload the IPv4 checksum calculation for UDP?
Setting the flag unconditionally for non-TCP/UDP traffic (e.g. ARP/ICMP)
results in lots of dropped frames, so I am only setting it in the outgoing UDP
frames.

-anil