[Xen-devel] Re: Xen and incorporating event channels in to nr_irqs

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen and incorporating event channels in to nr_irqs
From: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:25:48 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 08:27:20 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:56 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > I'm about to remove the nr_irqs NR_IRQS limitation. It's silly when we
> > deal with sparse irqs. So the idea is to have the initial nr_irqs set
> > in early boot to have a sensible size for allocating stuff. Later on
> > we can expand nr_irqs when the need arises.
>
> > It's not only Xen which wants to eliminate the limitation. Think about
> > irq expanders which are detected late in the boot. We have no sensible
> > way to reserve enough numbers for them at early boot as we dont know
> > whether that hardware is there or not.
> >
> > So my plan for .39 is to ignore the NR_IRQS limitation in the sparse
> > case and make nr_irqs expandable of course with a sensible upper limit
> > in the core code itself. It's basically the allocation bitmap which
> > limits it, but I doubt we'll hit 1 Million irq numbers in the
> > forseeable future.
>
> That sounds ideal, thanks!
>
> I was hoping to get rid of the workaround in Xen events.c in the 2.6.39
> timeframe too.
>
> If you let me know when you have something I can test I'll combine with
> the Xen side and give it a spin.
>
> On a vaguely related note, what is the future of non-sparse IRQs (on x86
> and/or generally)?

In general I want to switch everything over to SPARSE_IRQ. When the
open coded access to irq_desc[] is gone, which should be mostly the
case in .39 then switching everything over should be a smooth
thing. For those archs which do not want to adjust the numbers
dynamically we simple allocate NR_IRQS in early_irq_init(). So they
wont even notice.

Thanks,

        tglx