Re: [Xen-devel] Backtrace in xen/next-2.6.38 when running guest

To: M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Backtrace in xen/next-2.6.38 when running guest
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:31:23 +0000
Cc: Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 11:32:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 19:20 +0000, M A Young wrote:
> I get backtraces from the dom0 kernel when running a guest with networking
> (via netback) enabled such as the one below (there are some slight
> variations but the first two lines and most of the rest of the contents
> are the same).

> BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context at mm/page_alloc.c:2190

Thanks.

Netback for upstream is still a WIP (I wasn't expecting it to be merged
anywhere yet and have already and will continue to rebase my branch).

In particular one of the things which needs to go away for upstreaming
is the tasklet vs. kthread mode option in favour of always using a
kthread. Doing this will hopefully resolve this issue since the
allocation will no longer be in a context where sleeping is disallowed.

I you can't wait for my next post of the driver for upstream then
setting MODPARM_netback_kthread = 1 in drivers/net/xen-netback/netback.c
will have roughly the same effect.

Ian.