[Xen-devel] Re: mem_sharing: summarized problems when domain is dying

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: mem_sharing: summarized problems when domain is dying
From: Jui-Hao Chiang <juihaochiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:45:14 -0500
Cc: MaoXiaoyun <tinnycloud@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:45:54 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=oUP4X5yrefHqZIHh0E4fv7n4QxHDOhMUA97APnSFoXw=; b=rnmh3Ob8s+Wacu/dpDPbO7UiWq8LLiyi8unQGzcpmX/5plvvdr2mAj46qGSCh5Q22c 4bdv0wk/LgsPiFs2TtRPs3DJy2B9SSP8cwJJYFqQeGm4yjJnxiSp1XFPsvAUz+S22bLA qsoHVNoGQTziICDKPHIoZoUeMdQzbi/IFRTdA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Jui-Hao Chiang <juihaochiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Tim:
>
> From tinnycloud's result, here I summarize the current problem and
> findings of mem_sharing due to domain dying.
> (1) When domain is dying, alloc_domheap_page() and
> set_shared_p2m_entry() would just fail. So the shr_lock is not enough
> to ensure that the domain won't die in the middle of mem_sharing code.
> As tinnycloud's code shows, is that better to use
> rcu_lock_domain_by_id before calling the above two functions?

There seems no good locking to protect a domain from changing the
is_dying state. So the unshare function could fail in the middle in
several points, e.g., alloc_domheap_page and set_shared_p2m_entry.
If that's the case, we need to add some checking, and probably revert
the things we have done when is_dying is changed in the middle.

Any comments?

Jui-Hao