Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pvusb drivers for pvops 2.6.32.x kernel

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:33:39AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> I think the correct path for this functionality is to first get it
> accepted into the upstream kernel by working with the USB subsystem
> maintainer+list, fixing the issue arising from their review etc.

I'm happy to have a shot at that. I don't imagine it will be a quick
process so in the meantime I think there is value in supporting pvusb
in stable/2.6.32.x to encourage people to test and identify issues,
and also to make it easier to track the maintenance.

> The stuff necessary to get the frontend upstream has been upstream for
> ages. For the backend basic dom0 boot support is in 2.6.37 and the
> generic scaffolding for backends is currently in linux-next (via
> Konrad's tree) and is intended to be in the next merge window.
>
> I think the backend just looks like a regular USB driver to the host
> system so it probably belongs in drivers/usb/<something>/xen-usbback/
> and not drivers/xen. (I'm not sure what the <something> should be,
> perhaps "misc").

I agree that the frontend driver looks like a regular USB host
controller driver and belongs in drivers/usb/host. From the dom0
perspective the backend driver is a consumer of USB services rather
than a provider so my inclination is that the proper place for the
backend is drivers/xen along with blkback, netback and pciback. Much
the same way as I would expect to find a USB TV tuner driver in
drivers/media rather than drivers/usb. I would prefer to remain
consistent with the model established by the block, net and pci
drivers, but I am happy to adopt whatever convention is acceptable to
upstream.

Nathanael