Re: [Xen-devel] the relation between the dom0 and the driver domain

To: ?????? <momo.l.xjtu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] the relation between the dom0 and the driver domain
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:33:28 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:34:15 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:17:36PM +0900, ?????? wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I wanna know the relation between dom0 and driver domain? Is driver domain
>    a part of dom0 or it is independence? If driver domain is independence,
>    what is the relation between it and hypervisor?

Hey,

Well.. dom0 is the most common "driver domain", but normal domUs can
become driver domains aswell.

An example: You want to use domU as a network driver domain, providing
vif backends for other domUs. You'll probably use PCI passthru to assign
and dedicate a physical nic to this domU, and then you run xen netback
driver and required tools in the domU to make it serve vifs for other domUs.

See here for a tutorial:
http://twobit.us/blog/2010/07/xen-network-driver-domain-how/

-- Pasi