RE: [Xen-devel] Security Implications of letting customers use theirown

To: "Jonathan Tripathy" <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Security Implications of letting customers use theirown kernel
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:51:44 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:52:55 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Everyone,
>
> What are the security implications of letting customers install their
> own kernel?
>
> In my own research, I have only seen things that would compromise
their
> own DomU. My main area on concern is to protect all the other DomUs.
>
> An area of potential concern is if someone were to build a kernel that
> enabled "No Execute" or "Disable Execution", could that compromise
other
> DomUs? Or would that just leave their DomU vulnerable to running
> malicious code?
>
> Anyone aware of anything else?

Anything that allows a DomU to compromise Dom0 is a serious security bug
and should be reported and fixed.

Once I get my hands on a proper test box I plan to do some testing on
this as during development of GPLPV I have managed to crash Dom0 due to
pre-release testing of buggy code. This probably hasn't happened since
Xen 3.0.x though, which is ancient now, but I'd like to have some
confidence that nothing I throw at Dom0 will break it.

James