Re: [Xen-devel] Begging for help with cloned OpenSuse 10.3 DomU on OpenS

To: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Begging for help with cloned OpenSuse 10.3 DomU on OpenSuse 11.1 Dom0
From: Glen <gb2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:50:17 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:51:07 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan, George,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me!

On 11/25/2010 12:24 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Why are you running software this old in both host and guest?

I could explain it, but I have no desire to torture you.  :-)  And if I
did explain it, the heads of half this list's subscribers would explode.
 :-)

> I'm pretty certain neither is considered supported anymore, and
> chances are your problem would be solved by using newer bits.

Thank you.  I will start pursuing that direction today.

On 11/25/2010 1:44 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> Yes, the first thing you should do is upgrade to newer versions of Xen
> / kernel, if they're available through OpenSuse.
> If this is the most recent version in OpenSuse, then reporting it
> there is probably the best thing to do.

That sounds good, thanks.  I will do so.

> If you've tried the OpenSuse support channels and haven't gotten any
> help there, you basically have two options:
> * Move to a different supported infrastructure.  Xen Cloud Platform
> should be a good choice -- it's designed from the ground up to be a
> virtualization applicance, it's based on the XenServer product, and
> it's actively supported by both a community and Citrix engineers.
> (There are probably other good options, I'm just not familiar enough
> with them to make a personal recommendation.)

No, I value your recommendation immensely, and am very grateful!  As
soon as I solve my immediate problem you can be sure I will check that out!

> * Build your own versions of Xen and Linux from the most recent stable
> releases.  Xen-users should be able to help you with that; and if you
> find bugs in those, this list will be much more willing / able to help
> you track them down.
> (This is assuming you want a fully open version.  XenServer is a good
> product, and the free-as-in-beer version is very full-featured, and
> also has a decent support community.)
> Good luck,
>  -George

Thank you - thank you both, very much.  It will be even as you say.  :-)

Warmest regards,
Glen
Glen Barney