[Xen-devel] Writing custom Xen backend/frontend driver example

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Writing custom Xen backend/frontend driver example
From: Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 03:05:37 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:06:46 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=3IpmzZS8k1sld93RK5GCX2nKlsThTiyT9lO6fMhSt30=; b=uXRCog/68oUr9b5mU2U7vz8NUyejEQz49i3+2W0dRnbO8yXkg2dmJVqfh4YWTY4nUY xlUJMqUQBOe1SniERjGy/x/vfncQvgBDGBZ66ghzX+Rb11X1iPV18Cp66oq0BZTD3tw2 MU8hGXKGexM0tMKBRBeY6wTFkHTVeVrtF/lWU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I'm trying to write a Xen backend/frontend Linux driver for a custom
device, but I'm having some issues bringing up the frontend and the
backend. For the record I'm using Xen 4.0.1 using a Linux kernel from
the xen/stable-2.6.32.x git repository.

I started by recreating the 'deviceback / devicefront' sample
documented on the wiki at
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenIntro#head-e2e4a234896aa188a9addd5e326e818265ba2fea.
The drivers compile properly and load properly (though I had to set
the module license to GPL to get rid of missing symbols). The sample
contains a script to bring up the backend/frontend by writing certain
keys to xenstore. Executing the backend script triggers the 'probe'
call in the backend driver, but when I execute the frontend script it
doesn't seem to trigger the 'probe' call in the frontend driver.

Is this example still supposed to work on recent Xen / Linux kernel
versions? I have the feeling something changed which is not yet in the
example. At a quick glance other Linux drivers look more or less
similar (though they implement some extra xenbus methods to handle
XenbusState changes). What I did notice was that other pv-ops drivers
have extra keys in the xenstore as shown by xenstore-ls. Is this were
some things changed? I tried to look at the xend python scripts, but
with limited xen hacking experience it is hard to judge what's
relevant.

Regards,
Roderick Colenbrander