[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH] docs: Block numbering and naming specificat

Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [RFC, PATCH] docs: Block numbering and naming
specification"):
> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 12:37 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > As a consequence using only xvd* disks in an HVM config file is a
> > mistake, because grub (or any other bootloader) wouldn't be able to boot
> > the OS.
>
> How does one boot in this case then?

Via the network perhaps ?  Or perhaps Stefano is saying "don't do that
then".

>   The current behaviour is that you
> get both xvd* and hd* when you ask for only xvd*. I agree that this is
> nasty but it is how it works today so we should at least document what
> the correct configuration is if we are going to deprecate it.

There's a compatibility hack that means that if you don't specify
_any_ hd* devices but _do_ specify some xvd* devices, qemu-xen treats
all of the xvd*'s as if they were hd*'s.

> Is the correct configuration in this case to have both? e.g.:
>       disk = ['phy:/dev/VG/VM,xvda,w', 'phy:/dev/VG/VM,hda,w']

I don't think this is ever the correct configuration and nor should we
change things so that it is.

Making all emulated disks available via the PV interfaces is the
appropriate behaviour (and is what we do with networks, too).

Ian.