[Xen-devel] Re: PCI-passthrough: After VM shutdown and start again, devi

To: Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI-passthrough: After VM shutdown and start again, device has been assigned to another domain! Over-writting the ownership, but beware.
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:16:12 -0400
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:17:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 04:36:33PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Hello Konrad,
>
> When i shutdown a VM with a pci device passed through, and after shutdown
> start it again, i get:
> [  519.646961] pciback 0000:02:00.0: device has been assigned to another
> domain! Over-writting the ownership, but beware.
>
> Which i don't get the first time, could this mean not everything is cleaned
> up ok after the shutdown ?

Right. It means that somehow the frontend device didn't move to Closing' state
for the specific device (look for 'state-X'). It should have been set by the Xen
tools to the appropiate value. Are you using 'xl' or the old 'xm'? Is this the
first
time this has showed up?