[Xen-devel] [RFC]PLE's performance enhancement through improving schedul

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] [RFC]PLE's performance enhancement through improving scheduler.
From: "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:51:44 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:53:11 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The attached patch is just for RFC, not for check-in. Recently, we are working
on enhancing the hardware feature PLE through improving scheduler in Xen, and
the attached patch can improve system's throughput significantly. With standand
virtualization benchmark(vConsolidate), the testing result shows  ~20%
performance gain.   In the implemenation, there are two points to enhance the
system's scheduler.
The first one is that when PLE vmexit occurs,  scheduler de-schedules the vcpu
and put it in the second position of the runq instead of moving it to the tail
of runq so that it can be re-scheduled in a very short time. In this case, it
can improve scheduler's faireness and make the PLE-senstive guests allocated
with reasonable timeslice.  The other improvement is to boost other vcpus'
priority of the same guest through moving them to the head of the runq when PLE
vmexit happens with one vcpu of the guest.  And we are also improving the
implementation to make it more robust and more pervasive, but before the work
is done, we also want to collect your guys' ideas and suggestions about it ?
Any comment is very appreciated!. Thanks!
Xiantao