Re: [Xen-devel] kernel BUG at drivers/xen/balloon.c:528!

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Łukasz Oleś wrote:
> W dniu 15 lipca 2010 19:41 użytkownik Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał:

> >> Booting PV or HVM?
> >>

> > This bug is caused by backend drivers trying to initialize in a PV on
> > HVM guest.
> > The last port of my series on xen/next should have the right fix.
> >

> Now I have problem with vbd and vifs.
>
> vbd vbd-51712: 28 granting access to ring page
> vbd vbd-51712: 28 xenbus_dev_probe on device/vbd/51712
> vbd: probe of vbd-51712 failed with error -28
> vbd vbd-51728: 28 granting access to ring page
> vbd vbd-51728: 28 xenbus_dev_probe on device/vbd/51728
> vbd: probe of vbd-51728 failed with error -28
> vbd vbd-51744: 28 granting access to ring page
> vbd vbd-51744: 28 xenbus_dev_probe on device/vbd/51744
> vbd: probe of vbd-51744 failed with error -28
>
> Initialising Xen virtual ethernet driver.
> #### netfront can't alloc tx grant refs
> vif vif-0: 12 creating netdev
> vif vif-0: 12 xenbus_dev_probe on device/vif/0
> vif: probe of vif-0 failed with error -12
> #### netfront can't alloc tx grant refs
> vif vif-1: 12 creating netdev
> vif vif-1: 12 xenbus_dev_probe on device/vif/1
> vif: probe of vif-1 failed with error -12
> #### netfront can't alloc tx grant refs
> vif vif-2: 12 creating netdev
> vif vif-2: 12 xenbus_dev_probe on device/vif/2
> vif: probe of vif-2 failed with error -12
>
> Full log in attachment, vm config is posted in earlier message.

The warnings are due to the fact that CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI is not
enabled in your config but the kernel tries to initialize the pv
frontends anyway, the patch I have just sent to the list should fix this
issue.

In any case you should enable CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI in your kernel
config, otherwise the pv frontends won't load properly and you are not
going to have any benefits running a PV on HVM kernel.

I am not sure why you cannot mount your root device, maybe you didn't
specify the correct root= in your kernel command line options?