RE: [Xen-devel] xend doesn't start with xen-staging tip (on ubuntu 9.10

> From: Ian Jackson [mailto:Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Dan Magenheimer writes ("RE: [Xen-devel] xend doesn't start with xen-
> staging tip (on ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04)"):
> > Requiring every installer to setup and manipulate a new set of
> > obscure init commands and/or brctls and/or other things that
> > used to work fine in every distro for 3.4/4.0... not so great.

Clearly we disagree so I'm not sure further replies will be useful,
but FWIW:

> Well, the old bridge thing didn't "work fine in every distro".  It was
> fragile and unreliable and if it went wrong it caused complete dom0
> networking failures (which can be very awkward in a colo).

I'd venture to guess it "worked fine" on 90-95+% of Xen developer's
systems.  Admittedly it may NOT have worked on latest releases
of some bleeding edge distros, but those that are running bleeding
edge distros tend to know what they are doing (see below).

> I don't know what distro you're using.  Perhaps on Redhat derivatives
> setting up your network to go through a bridge is "obscure init
> commands and/or brctls" but on Debian derivatives it really is
> trivial.

I'd venture to guess that if you ask the question(s):

"Your networking to your Xen guests which always worked has
suddenly stopped working when you've upgraded to the latest
Xen bits.  You asked on xen-devel what to do to fix it
and got the reply: 'You need to set up your own network
to go through a bridge now'.  Do you know now exactly what
trivial things you need to do?  If not, do you know exactly
where to look for documentation to tell you what you need to do?"

I'd suspect the percentage of those answering yes to
either of those questions would be surprisingly small.